Monday, March 13, 2006

Sailing 101

I finally have my Sailing 101 certification! http://www.asa.com/learn/standard_basic_keelboat_sailing.html

When we chose a sailing school here in Atlanta, we were lured into trying Windsong Sailing, first because of the price, but also we thought the approach would work for us. WRONG! It seems the only thing Windsong is interested in is stringing you along and making you spend lots of money. I'm sure their approach works for some people, but not so much for us.


I spent last week in sunny San Diego on business, and Wade arranged a private sailing lesson for me on Saturday. I really wanted to practice heavy-weather sailing, which isn't much of a possibility in San Diego usually. But we got some serious weather on Saturday. It was in the 40s and 50s throughout the day with rain, killer winds, and even some hail! I couldn't believe it. The lesson lasted the whole day (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), and I got to practice docking about a million times in a half a million different conditions. That's probably the thing I have the most trouble with. I also got to do an impromptu man-overboard drill when my instructor lost his hat.

I guess you would actually call it a hat-overboard drill.


The instructor and I agreed it was a perfect day for sailing - dreary, cold, and most importantly, windy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home